Green Kid Crafts

Wednesday, March 21, 2018

One of the scariest days of my life: 2 years Post Decompression

2 years ago today was a very scary day for me and my family. We had to send our youngest in for decompression surgery. He was only 11 months at the time. We were so scared of what could happen.

We had to get up early and be there very early for prep for the surgery.
I had barely slept the night before because I was so scared for my baby boy. He was so carefree and had no idea what he was about to go through. When we sent him back I was a mess. I cried, who wouldn't? I was sending my baby off for brain surgery.

I think he was in surgery for about 4 hours. We had a group of family sitting in the waiting room waiting on every update they gave us. The cut in they did a duraplasty, cut out part of his skull, and cut the arch of his c2. After the surgery he went to the ICU where we finally got to see him.



It was very rough seeing my baby in pain and not knowing how to express himself. I was just happy he was out of surgery and able to start the recovery process. The next day was so much better and he was able to be out of bed and playing.


I was so happy to see him doing so well just 1 day after major surgery. He is such a trooper. Just looking at him you wouldn't have known he had just had brain surgery, but then you look at the back of his head.
The next day, so 2 days after surgery, he got his bandages off. The cut was a lot bigger than we had thought. It was kind of shocking to us to see it.

3 days after surgery he was able to come home, so March 24, 2016. On his birthday, so 16 days after surgery, he got his stitches out. He was doing so well. He was off all pain meds within 3 days of being home.

Today has been 2 years since that scary day and what was to follow. He will be 3 years old in 16 days. He is doing truly amazing. He walks, talks, and is all boy. He still has some affects from the chiari, but he doesn't let it affect him too much. He will e starting preschool in the fall and he is super smart already. I can't wait to see what the future holds for my little warrior.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting

day 3: meaning of my name

A lot of you may be wondering where my blog name came from, how I came up with it. As I have previously mentioned i have 4 kids. They are cu...